Sunday, July 13, 2014

Sewing onesies!

I have a new great niece and she's the first great niece on my side of the family.  She so darn cute. 

Meet Anaya 

I bought her some onesies and they were the boring plain white style.  I thought how boring I needed to change them up. 

Here's the one I made with linen fabric and tulle overlay.  Adorable!

I used a piece of fabric the size of a quilt fat square and cut it in half lengthwise.  I sewed two side seams to make the skirt.  I did this with both the white linen fabric and the tulle.  To gather the top edge I put both the tulle and linen together and sew two stitch lines  to be able to gather the skirt.

I pulled on the threads of the two stitched lines to gather the top of the skirt.

I used a pencil to make a guide line on the onesie where the skirt will be placed.

Pinned the gathered skirt edge with right sides together. Notice the gathered edge is facing the bottom of the onesie.

Had to take the arm off the machine to make it fit.

Made a wide hem on the linen skirt.

I have this great new sewing machine, but it didn't have a neat edge stitch so back to my older machine.  I used a scallop stitch to edge the tulle skirt part.  So cute and so easy.
I used the same scallop stitch along the neck edges.  It was a good idea but I didn't like the look of it and it stretched out the neck more than I liked.

Check out the rest of the onesies on my Facebook page www.facebook.com/the.brokenwing

No comments:

Post a Comment