Saturday, July 26, 2014

Jelly roll quilt

I don't if you'll remember I posted about a friend purging her quilt supplies and fabric?  I also purchased her Bernina sewing machine.  I think the post was in February 2014.  In the fabric collection I bought there were a few jelly roll packages.  I gave them to my Mom but I kept one for myself.  I read about jelly roll clock races.  I watched a video on YouTube and thought what the heck I'll do that.  It was quick and so easy.  Sewing strip after strip after strip.  I'll add the video at the end of my post.



I loved the process and the feeling of accomplishment in such a short time.  Once I put the quilt top together and found fabric for the back I decided to put a design on the backside of the quilt.  I cut four "fat quarters" into 3 1/2 inch strips.  Did the same process of sewing them together like the jelly roll strips.  I used a nice green fabric for most of the back fabric. I cut the back fabric 4 inches bigger so I could use it as the binding.  I sewed the back together, don't know why I didn't photograph it, but anyways, I used some fabric spray adhesive to put the layers together.  First time using the spray adhesive and it worked nice and held the fabrics really well.  Much easier than basting or pinning.

One of the accessories this machine has is a walking foot and it's amazing.  I had no problem with the fabric layers bunching up.



I machine quilted it by sewing random lines across the width of the quilt.  I love the look of the random-ness of it.  Once I was finished machine quilting I trimmed the back fabric  to 2 1/2 inches and the quilt batting to one inch from the edge of the top.  I turned under the edge to make the binding and mitered the corners.  Worked out perfectly.


Here's the quilt front.  I love the simple but colorful look of it.


This is the back and I love it.  It's the first quilt back I've ever done that's not one solid fabric.  Will be doing this from now on.  Did I just say that????   Yes, I love sewing and this is a great project to do over and over and over again.  I dare you to try it, I would say this is a great  project for beginner could do.


Here's the video...


No comments:

Post a Comment