Sunday, April 16, 2017

New Project!

I decided it was time to make some changes in our hall bathroom.  I painted the oak cabinet a nice white and added cabinet hardware.  Not liking the countertop but not interested in tearing it out.


I did some research and found a DIY on how to use a concrete product to use on the existing countertop!  It's called Henry FeatherFinish.  I also didn't want it to be the grey concrete color so I added a charcoal cement tint.  Love it!

Bought both products at Lowe's.


Mixed up a batch to test it out.  I wasn't sure if I used enough water.  Seemed too thick but I followed the directions on the box exactly.  I really love the color!  I used a putty knife to spread it out on a practice board.  I'm used to using a wet cement that levels itself out.  This is more like frosting a sheet cake.  I was happy with the look and texture.  So let's do it.


I started the project today.  Mixed up the cement according to the directions, but I found I needed to use more water than recommended on the box.  The DIY said to mix it to pancake batter consistency.    I added the colorant to the water and then added the cement powder.   Mixed it and then let it set for a few minutes.  It does thicken up more which I was not expecting.  The first batch covered the counter but not enough for the sink.  


Here's a closer look at the texture.  It's not as easy as it seems.  Getting it smooth as possible but not too worried since it's the first coat.  I can sand it after it sets.  I'm gonna let it be for 24 hours and then add a second coat.



 This is the finished first coat.   I didn't remove the faucet all the way and just raised it enough to work around it.  Once it's set tomorrow I'll lightly sand the whole surface to smooth out any imperfections. Then on to a second coat.  Let it set for 24 hours, sand, seal the whole countertop and sink.   I'm not liking the faucet finish...may need to paint it.  Overall I do like the look of the countertop and sink.  I'll keep you posted!


No comments:

Post a Comment