Monday, September 30, 2013

Sewing days

My friend Becki is learning to sew and asked for some instruction/direction.  After we spoke I decided I would give her some sewing lessons.  I picked out the project, the fabric and pattern.  I got everything ready.  I learned to sew when I was 12 years old.  I was taught by my 4-H leaders, Arlene Vierson and Lois Ziegler.  They were perfectionist and taught us well.  I was happy to pass on some of the lessons to Becki.


I picked out some fabric with no particular design.  Polka dot fabric, is that how you spell polka dot?  I decided we would make simple aprons.  Part of making/sewing from a pattern is getting the grain of the fabric straight, that's what I'm doing here.  Getting the pattern pieces straight on the fabric is important and makes is so easy to sew together


I cut the pattern pieces and iron them flat. 



Here's the final project done, the cutest apron!
Becki was a great student.  Her skill set is high and she knows her way around a sewing machine, oh and by the way she has the nicest Bernina machine....so jealous.  New project, a dress for her daughter.  I finished up my apron and I think I'll be making more.
 
I do love sewing, it's one of my favorite hobbies.  I've been sewing up Christmas projects. 

No comments:

Post a Comment