Sunday, January 30, 2011

Fabric Shop


I was at a fabric shop today & it reminded me of how I was introduced to sewing.  When I was 12, two women came to my low income neighborhood and gathered up a group of us girls and invited us to join their 4H club. It was amazing what they did.   They met with us in a small neighborhood church and taught us how to sew.  Arlene and her sister Lois were such great teachers and had a huge impact on me and the other girls.  I was a member of 4H into high school.  Our projects started with a simple apron to detailed blouses, dresses & slacks.  Our sewing projects competed in the State Fair & never got less than a purple or blue ribbon.  I learned so much from both Arlene and Lois, but Arlene is a major influence and mentor.  I tell her all the time how grateful I am that she is a part of my life.  She gave me possibilities.   Funny how a trip to a fabric shop moved me today.
Martin (Arlene's husband), Arlene and her sister Lois.

No comments:

Post a Comment