Here's the dresser I painted!
I used chalk paint, but not the known chalk paint. I did some research and found a DIY recipe. I mixed up a quart of yellow latex flat paint with 10 oz plaster of paris and 5 oz water to make up chalk paint. I mixed the plaster of paris with the water to dissolve all the lumps. Added the paint and mixed well. I cleaned the dresser with a hot soapy water to get all the dirt and grime off. I bought this dresser about ten years ago at a thrift store. I could never decide whether to restain it or paint it. My brother used is for a few years and then it's been sitting in my garage for another year. I have the space for it in my bedroom so it was time to make a decision....paint it is.
|Brushed on first coat|
|Working on 2nd coat|
After the second coat dried I used a roller to do the final coat. It took away the crush strokes you get when using chalk paint. I ended up using all the paint. Next I put on a layer of clear Minwax and I really didn't like the clean looking finish, so I added some brown tint (raw umber paint) to the wax and also sanded edges to give it a worn look. I put on a layer of brown wax and let it dry and used a old tshirt to polish the wax and it's came out perfect! I love the finish. I put the original hardware on & I couldn't be happier with the outcome.