Sunday, May 31, 2015

Painted dresser...love, love, love

Here's the dresser I painted!  


I used chalk paint, but not the known chalk paint.  I did some research and found a DIY recipe.  I mixed up a quart of yellow latex flat paint with 10 oz plaster of paris and 5 oz water to make up chalk paint.  I mixed the plaster of paris with the water to dissolve all the lumps. Added the paint and mixed well. I cleaned the dresser with a hot soapy water to get all the dirt and grime off.  I bought this dresser about ten years ago at a thrift store.  I could never decide whether to restain it or paint it.  My brother used is for a few years and then it's been sitting in my garage for another year.  I have the space for it in my bedroom so it was time to make a decision....paint it is.

Before



Brushed on first coat

Working on 2nd coat
After the second coat dried I used a roller to do the final coat.  It took away the crush strokes you get when using chalk paint.  I ended up using all the paint.  Next I put on a layer of clear Minwax and I really didn't like the clean looking finish, so I added some brown tint (raw umber paint) to the wax and also sanded edges to give it a worn look.  I put on a layer of brown wax and let it dry and used a old tshirt to polish the wax and it's came out perfect!  I love the finish.  I put the original hardware on & I couldn't be happier with the outcome.



No comments:

Post a Comment