Friday, November 2, 2012

The smell of home...

The electricity went out in our neighborhood tonight for several hours.  I was in the middle of making refried beans for dinner.  The power wouldn't be restored for several hours so we went out for dinner.  When we got home the electricity was back on, no harm done.  I wasn't sleepy so I made tortillas.  I love the smell of homemade tortillas.  It reminds me of home.  When I was really young my Grandpa Jose made tortillas every morning, loved walking into his kitchen.  My mom always made tortillas, too.  My Grandpa Ramon made her a wooden board and palote (rolling pin).  She still has them.  I have my favorite handmade palote, too. My mom taught me how and I was eager to learn...but only to realize that was going to be my job.   I really haven't mastered the getting them all the same size and roundness like my mom, hers were perfect.  My family used to make fun of the shapes of my tortillas, the fifty states...ha ha
Breakfast burritos...yumm yumm

No comments:

Post a Comment