Wednesday, February 21, 2018

Homemade Gesso

I made gesso when I worked on my holiday snowman.  It worked great.  I decided to use my vintage journal as my art journal.  It's best to paint with gesso.  I was out of gesso and decided to make my own.


I used equal parts white glue and drywall compound and added white paint.  It seem thick but translucent.  It was gritty and not as smooth as I wanted.




Today I did some research on gesso recipes and found a different one. 

One part plaster of paris (1/2 cup)
One part white glue.  (1/2 cup)

Two parts white paint.  (1 cup)

The recipe.  It needs to be stored in an air tight container.

Not a very good photo of the gesso painted page.  It went on smoother and less grainy.  I think next batch I make i will mix a little water in with the plaster of paris to get the powder wet.  I noticed the powder left grains but once I painted it over and it smooth out in a nice coverage.  I liked this gesso recipe for painting.  It wasn't as translucent as the other recipe and it wasn't as thick.  I'll have to see how it is to paint on.

No comments:

Post a Comment