Tuesday, June 4, 2024

Chef Silvana & Barrio Cafe


Barrio Cafe has closed their doors.  Chef Silvana Salcido Esparza held a closing celebration.  There was music, food and other artist booths.  Lots of people having a great time.

I became familiar  with her when I was looking into Latino artist and found out she exhibited local Latino artist in Barrio Cafe and also a small gallery next door.  I loved her activism and her generosity to her community.  I finally met her during Covid, I made and delivered masks to her for the employees.

 
I purchased her book and while I was there she was happy to sign my copy and also gifted me a copy of Sunset magazine she was featured in.  

Happily got a photo with her!

A couple of side stories.  I thanked her for helping me find my way to Pablo Luna.  I wrote about him in previous blog posts of August 11, 2021 and October 9, 2022.  Once I said that I knew she was grieving his loss so I gently moved on to another subject.  Asking her to sign my copy of her book.  Once we moved to the table where she was preparing to sign the book, she told me Pablo Luna's sister was standing behind her.  I was introduced to her and told her how I knew Pablo and gave my condolences.  His sister, (which I have forgotten her name) told me she recalls Pablo telling her about me and how he painted a mural on my office wall when he was in his early 20's.  I could tell her loss was still fresh.  She mention there is plans with a foundation in his name will be planning functions.  I'll make sure to follow up.

The second thing, I met an artist who had a booth with her laser cut items.  Very unique and pretty.  I was so overheated by the hot tempatures and needed water, which as a result I wasn't at my best and needed head to my car and AC.  I got her business card and I will write more about her an upcoming post.  Overall, a great day and felt such amazing energy all around.  Great day for my soul.

No comments:

Post a Comment